The government must devise sectoral policies that introduce competition and promote private sector development.
- It must establish and maintain a strong regulatory framework for the remaining monopolies, public and private, to ensure that fair business practices are adhered to, keep prices down, and generally oversee the particular sector;
- It must maintain transparency in transactions and convince investors that their investments are secure;
- The government must negotiate, monitor, and enforce contracts with private suppliers of management and finances;
- It must ensure that resources from privatisation sales are put to productive uses; and
- Importantly, it must manage the inevitable political and social tensions that arise and ensure that enterprise reforms are implemented, with special attention to the issues of foreign ownership and labour layoff.